5-29-18 I Can Only Imagine

Daily Jot: I can only imagine - Bill Wilson - www.dailyjot.com  
I could count on one hand the number of movies I've paid to see over the last five years. I don't like what Hollywood produces and what the actors stand for. To me, many are un-American and their craft portrays a world of bad things on steroids. My movie watching is by extreme selection usually in the privacy of my home. I like the older works-like pre-1970. My favorite, though, is "Remember the Titans." Maybe "Gone with the Wind" is a close second. It's difficult for me to remember movies and I have a hard time recognizing actors. I guess it just doesn't matter enough to me. There was, however, a movie that we went to see over the weekend, and I actually paid to see it, that I can strongly recommend.
Many of you may remember the song "I Can Only Imagine." The lyrics are: "I can only imagine What it would be like When I walk by your side I can only imagine What my eyes would see When your face is before me I can only imagine I can only imagine Surrounded by your glory What will my heart feel Will I dance for you Jesus Or in awe of You be still Will I stand in your presence To my knees will I fall Will I sing hallelujah Will I be able to speak at all I can only imagine I can only imagine I can only imagine When that day comes When I find myself Standing in the Son I can only imagine When all I will do Is forever, forever worship you I can only imagine I can only imagine."
It's a MercyMe song written by Bart Millard. The Movie, "I Can Only Imagine," takes viewers on the journey of Bart Millard's life, of which the ingredients were mixed to bring him to a moment when he penned the words to the three time platinum song. Amy Grant played by Nicole DuPort was going to record the song and she was talking to Millard about how long it took to write it. Millard, played by J. Michael Finley, told her it only took about ten minutes and the music took about the same amount of time. She said that she believed a song like that took a lifetime to write. From there, we learn the story behind the song and Millard's life of abuse, abandonment, soul-searching, and reconciliation.
This is a compelling story. The acting is very good. The filmography is very good. It was produced on a $7 million budget and Variety.com reports that the movie grossed over $15 million the first weekend it was released. It has already grossed over $59 million, according to moviedguide.org. This means that a lot of people are seeing it. This is a story of how the relationship of a son and a father is restored through the redemptive powers of Jesus Christ. We can all relate to it in one way or another. It doesn't twist the gospel. It stays true to its intent. It's not preachy, it's real. Jesus said in Matthew 6:14, "For if you forgive men their trespasses, your heavenly Father will also forgive you." "I Can Only Imagine" addresses forgiveness in a way that can be an example to us all. You'll be blessed if you see it.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

9-16-23 Little-Known Prophecies of Christmas, Pt 3: Genesis 17:19

9-17-23 Christians Using Science Badly: Part 2

9-17-23 It's Coming