5-23-20 The Most Difficult Part of Evangelism

Daily Devotion: The Most Difficult Part of Evangelism - by Greg Laurie - www.harevst.org
 
And my message and my preaching were very plain. Rather than using clever and persuasive speeches, I relied only on the power of the Holy Spirit.-1 Corinthians 2:4
 
I think the most difficult part of evangelism is getting the conversation started. When I preach, it's a monologue. Basically I get up and speak and then ask people to make a decision. But when I talk to people one-on-one, it's a dialogue.
 
As I've said before, everyone's favorite subject is themselves. People love to talk about themselves. So I ask questions and listen for an area where I can appropriately apply the gospel to the conversation. Then I try to find that bridge to build to take us to the next place.
 
The objective in sharing your faith is to build a bridge, not burn one. A lot of times evangelistic conversations end before they start because we're unnecessarily offensive or weird. Or, we simply put people off.
 
Jesus said, "Blessed are those who are persecuted for righteousness' sake" (Matthew 5:10 NKJV). So be persecuted for being righteous . . . not for being weird.
 
Also, the objective in sharing your faith is not to win the argument; it's to win the soul. I've seen people armed with the latest apologetics, with their gospel guns ready, and they blow the nonbeliever out of the water. They won the argument, and the other person walks away feeling humiliated and offended. That is not good evangelism. We want to win the soul.
 
Think of Jesus with the woman at the well in Samaria. He could have said, "Look, let's just cut to the chase. You're an immoral woman. I'm God in human form. So repent."
 
Would that have been true? Yes.
 
Is that what He said? No.
 
Instead, He engaged her in conversation and drew her in. So don't try to win the argument; try to win the soul. Be a nice person. If you want to win some, be winsome.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

9-16-23 Little-Known Prophecies of Christmas, Pt 3: Genesis 17:19

9-17-23 Christians Using Science Badly: Part 2

9-16-23 It Is Coming