9-17-17 Worthless Accomplishments

If the source of my ambition 
is the treasure I obtain
If I measure my successes on 
a scale of earthly gain
If the focus of my vision 
is the status I attain
My accomplishments are 
worthless and my efforts are in vain

I met with my therapist last Thursday. We just kinda sat and looked at each other for awhile. He finally asked me how things were going and I said that things were good. I didn't have anything to complain about. I told him that I was at peace with myself and with the world.We talked about his family for a while and then he started reminding me of the accomplishments of my life. He thought that it was a big deal that he was sitting and talking to a Bishop of the church. I thought about the words in a song by Clay Crosse. Some of those words are written above in the beginning of this post. Then I remembered another verse of the song.

I have wrestled in the darkness 
of this lonely pilgrim land
Raising strong and mighty fortresses 
that I alone command
But these castles 
I've constructed by the 
strength of my own hand
Are just temporary kingdoms 
on foundations made of sand

I smiled at him and simply said "My friend you are talking to a forgiven sinner nothing more. " All the mighty fortresses that I had constructed in my life had been done outside of God's will by the strength of my own hands. They were just temporary kingdoms on a foundation made of sand. The waters of life washed each one of them away and I was left empty with nothing to show for my labors. Now my foundation is a solid rock of Jesus Christ my Lord. Everything I do is for him and his glory, not mine.I'm a forgiven sinner and a child of God. Those will be the greatest accomplishments of my life, not all the earthly things that mean nothing. Peace to all.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

9-16-23 Little-Known Prophecies of Christmas, Pt 3: Genesis 17:19

9-17-23 Christians Using Science Badly: Part 2

9-17-23 It's Coming