2-26-18 New Year Resolutions

By Billy Graham, Tribune Content Agency

Why do I bother with New Year's resolutions?

Feb 26, 2018
Q: I've done it again -- I've already broken every New Year's resolution I made for this year. Every year I start out determined to keep my resolutions, but before I know it I've failed. Maybe I shouldn't bother. Why do I do this? What's wrong with me? -- L.D.W.

A: I suspect you're not alone; every year countless people start out resolving to change their lives -- but end up failing. Sometimes it's because their goals weren't realistic, or because they didn't plan exactly how they were going to reach them.

But usually it's simply because we don't have the inner moral and spiritual strength we need to change our lives. Like you, they wanted to do better, and they knew they needed to do better -- but they still failed. I am reminded of the Apostle Paul's experience in this regard: "For I have the desire to do what is good, but I cannot carry it out" (Romans 7:18).

What is the problem? The problem is that each one of us has been infected with a spiritual disease that cripples and weakens us -- a disease the Bible calls "sin." Even if we succeed in changing our lives in some ways, we still fail in other ways. This is why we need Christ, for only He can forgive our sins, and only He can help us and give us the inner strength to live the way we should.

By a simple prayer of faith turn to Jesus Christ, asking Him to forgive your sins and come into your life by His Holy Spirit. Then ask Him to show you what kind of person He wants you to be -- and He will, as you read His Word, the Bible, and get connected with a church where you'll learn what it means to follow Christ.

========

(Send your queries to "My Answer," c/o Billy Graham, Billy Graham Evangelistic Association, 1 Billy Graham Parkway, Charlotte, N.C., 28201; call 1-(877) 2-GRAHAM, or visit the Web site for the Billy Graham Evangelistic Association: www.billygraham.org.)

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

9-17-23 Now It Is Obvious Why

9-16-23 Little-Known Prophecies of Christmas, Pt 3: Genesis 17:19

9-16-23 It Is Coming