Friday, December 15, 2017
HEADLINES IN PARTNERSHIP WITH
TRACKING BIBLE PROPHECY
- US peace plan not finalized, but efforts 'serious,' says Saudi's Jubeir
- Trump's Jerusalem steps will help the peace process, some experts say
- Snubbed by Abbas, US vice president to skip Palestinians on upcoming trip
- Erdogan and Abbas bark about Jerusalem, but their threats have no bite
- In fresh rebuke for Trump, EU says its Jerusalem stance is unchanged
- Houthis: US trying to distract from Jerusalem furor with Iran missile claim
- Hamas will reverse Trump's Jerusalem move, leader tells Gaza rally
- Turkey, Lebanon eye embassies to Palestine in East Jerusalem
- Palestinians: Arab Rulers are Traitors, Cowards
- Hamas calls for another 'Day of Rage'
- Forces brace for second week of Friday protests over US Jerusalem move
- Nazareth cancels Christmas celebrations to protest US move on Jerusalem
- Protesting Trump, Jericho shop denies entry to 'dogs and Americans'
- Hamas Not Interested in Another War in Gaza, Israeli Defense Officials Say
- IDF officer says there are likely more Gaza tunnels leading into Israel
- 'Hamas invests in tunnels, why not in hospitals?'
- Lieberman: law should be enacted allowing to hold terrorists' bodies for negotiations
- PM on HCJ ruling on terrorists' bodies: 'Hamas must not be given gifts'
- Netanyahu grilled by police for seventh time in graft probe
- Holocaust survivors worldwide celebrate Hanukkah
- Family of Miss Iraq forced to flee country after photo posted with Miss Israel
- Iraqi Shiite paramilitary chief seeks to put troops under national army
- Iraq hangs 38 on terrorism charges
- ISIS Threatens National Cathedral in Fiery Propaganda Image
- ISIS weapons arsenal included some purchased by U.S. government
- US fighter jets 'head-butt' Russian jets in Syria, US official says
- 'Golden opportunity' lost as Syrian peace talks collapse
- Time Is Running Out For Syria's Besieged Communities
- U.S. accuses Iran of being terrorist 'arsonist'
- Saudis welcome UN report, US stand on Iran's missile supplies
- Saudi embassy in Washington releases photos of site targeted by Iranian missile
- Iran says weaponry displayed by Haley is 'fabricated'
- US envoy Haley says to forge anti-Iran coalition
- Russia: Iran nuclear deal breakdown would hurt effort to manage N.Korea
- Ukraine leader welcomes EU's extension of sanctions on Russia
- Russia says not ready to strangle North Korea economically
- Japan expands unilateral sanctions against North Korea
- China says war must not be allowed on Korean peninsula
- Kim Jong Un's top aide executed by North Korean death squad, reports suggest
- At least 6,700 Rohingya killed in 'horrific' Myanmar violence, charity says
- Las Vegas massacre survivors 2 months later: 'We're in the dark'
- FCC repeals net neutrality rules after delay caused by bomb threat
- The Internet Is Free Again - Killing Obama-era rules will remove the FCC as political gatekeeper
- Brexit: EU leaders set to move talks on to next stage
- May Returns to Brussels After Brexit Defeat by Her Own Party
- Detroit breaks ground on tallest tower, symbol of resurgence
- Americans Spend More Than Expected as Holiday Season Heats Up
- Record number of Americans to travel during Christmas holiday: AAA
- Solar System's First Interstellar Visitor Dazzles Scientists
- 5.3 magnitude earthquake hits near Tadine, New Caledonia
- 5.3 magnitude earthquake hits near Duowa, China
- 5.1 magnitude earthquake hits near Pueblo Nuevo, Guatemala
- Sabancaya volcano in Peru erupts to 24,000ft
- Klyuchevskoy volcano on Kamchatka, Russia erupts to 21,000ft
- Fuego volcano in Guatemala erupts to 18,000ft
- Agung volcano in Indonesia erupts to 18,000ft
- Sinabung volcano in Indonesia erupts to 16,000ft
- Reventador volcano in Ecuador erupts to 15,000ft
- Philippines to face days of life-threatening flooding from Tropical Storm Urduja
- Firefighter killed battling Thomas fire as powerful winds pose new threat
- Arlington doctor accused of spiking pregnant girlfriend's tea with abortion pill
- Bid to Outlaw Gay Sex, Adultery Fails in World's Largest Muslim-Majority Nation
- After Trump and Moore, some evangelicals are finding their own label too toxic to use
|DEVOTION FOR FRIDAY, DECEMBER 15, 2017|
|RELATIONAL TOUGH LOVE|
In his book Rebel with a Cause, Franklin Graham describes the tough love meted out by his parents during his rebellious youth. “ ‘If you don’t stop right now,’ Mama said, ‘I’m going to pull over and lock you up in the trunk.’ . . . Before I knew what was happening, she opened the back door, grabbed me with both hands, jerked me around back, opened the trunk, put me inside, and slammed the lid shut. I wasn’t expecting Mama to drive all the way to Asheville before letting me out, but she drove on and on.”
God had to enact tough love toward the Israelites after generations of disobedience. He sent the Babylonians who invaded the land, destroyed Jerusalem and the temple, and carried the people into exile. God’s discipline did not mean He had abandoned His people. His intention was to restore and renew His relationship with them. First, God promised to gather His people and “bring them back into their own land” (v. 21). Because the land was one of God’s original promises to Abraham, a return to the land was a sign of God’s care and blessing over His people. God also addressed the problem of sin that would accompany the return from exile, promising salvation for His backsliding people (v. 23).
Second, God promised new leadership. Unlike the previously wicked rulers, God promised a new king, and under this new leadership, Israel would “follow my laws and be careful to keep my decrees” (v. 24).
Finally, God declared a restoration of His dwelling place. “I will put my sanctuary among them forever. My dwelling place will be with them” (vv. 26–27). His dwelling includes the promises of a restored relationship, a “covenant of peace” that will bind God to His people.
|APPLY THE WORD|
God’s love for us is described in H. W. Baker’s hymn, “The King of Love My Shepherd Is.” Consider singing or reading this hymn today as a reminder of God’s unfailing relationship with us:
“Perverse and foolish, oft I strayed, but yet in love he sought me
And on his shoulder gently laid, and home, rejoicing, brought me.”
|PRAY WITH US|
Pray for the Custodial Services team and the students who help them keep Moody’s buildings beautiful and clean. Thank God for them with us and pray for Cathy Sywulka, Danielle Hooper, Danny Hutcherson, David Boskovic, and Dean Gentry.