12-7-18 The Key to Resisting Temptation

Daily Devotion: The Key to Resisting Temptation - By Greg Laurie - www.harvest.org
 
Blessed is the man who endures temptation; for when he has been approved, he will receive the crown of life which the Lord has promised to those who love Him. -James 1:12
 
I often overfill the hard drive on my computer because I never throw a photograph away. I have so many pictures of my family, especially my grandkids. I keep them all. Every now and then when I'm trying to open a document, a little message pops up on the screen saying the hard drive is full. I have to empty the trash and delete a few things.
 
Wouldn't it be great if our minds were so full of the Word of God that when the Devil comes with his enticements, he would see a little sign that says the hard drive is full?
 
Temptation generally comes to us in the mind. It comes as a thought. It sort of knocks on the door of the imagination. It has been said that you can't stop a bird from flying over your head, but you can stop him from building a nest in your hair.
 
The key is to know the Word of God. In fact, it's a great thing to memorize the Word of God. The psalmist said, "Your word I have hidden in my heart, that I might not sin against You" (Psalm 119:11 NKJV).
 
When the devil tempted Jesus in the wilderness, Jesus responded by quoting Scripture. He occupied ground that every Christian can occupy. Jesus shows us how to resist temptation-and yes, temptation can be resisted.
 
The Bible says, "Blessed is the man who endures temptation; for when he has been approved, he will receive the crown of life which the Lord has promised to those who love Him" (James 1:12 NKJV). Temptation can be resisted. The word blessed used in this verse means "happy." If you want to be a happy person, then guard your mind. Say no to temptation, and say yes to God.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

9-16-23 Little-Known Prophecies of Christmas, Pt 3: Genesis 17:19

9-17-23 It's Coming

9-17-23 Christians Using Science Badly: Part 2