8-11-18 Doubt, Satan's Silver Bullet

Doubt, Satan’s Silver Bullet :: By Grant Phillips

One of Satan’s greatest weapons against a child of God is to inflict them with doubt. Sometimes we are either ashamed or afraid to admit that we have doubts, but we all have them. (Some will say they never have any doubts, but I find that hard to believe. We are all human.)
In the old werewolf movies only a silver bullet could kill the werewolf. Of course we are not werewolves, so this is just a way of saying that Satan wants to harm us as lethally as possible. I suppose I could just have easily said, “Be sober, be vigilant; because your adversary the devil, as a roaring lion, walketh about, seeking whom he may devour:” (1 Peter 5:8).

In my opinion the greatest doubt Satan inflicts upon a Christian is shown in that piercing question we ask our self, “Am I really going to Heaven when I die?” Of course today, we seem to be so close to the Rapture, the question may be, “Will I really go in the Rapture or be left behind?”
Satan loves causing us to doubt our salvation. He loves nothing more than to cast doubt upon those who are of God. He has done this from the very beginning. “Yea, hath God said?” is the very first question he asked Eve. The silver bullet of doubt left the chamber, raced down the barrel and found its target in Eve. He has been hitting bulls eyes with that silver bullet ever since. That’s all it took in the Garden of Eden, that little bit of doubt and the whole world is in a tizzy.
Since he already has mankind in the death throes of sin, what is his point today? I personally think he likes to watch us squirm while he keeps us confused and unproductive. What about this thing called “death” though? Can a Christian have peace in this area without constantly being bombarded by Satan with doubts?
I have heard a few Christians say on occasion that they have never doubted their salvation since the day they were saved. If that is true, and I’m sure it is for some, then I’m happy for them. However, that isn’t true of every Christian. Many have endured those doubts. You know how it goes in Christian growth … one step forward and two steps back … then two steps forward and one step back … until finally the backward steps become fewer and fewer. Satan is always trying to hinder any growth in the Christian life.
In my experience of those I have known personally, many good Christians did not want to admit their doubts and shortcomings, but folks we are ALL saved by GRACE and not one of us is worthy of that salvation FREELY GIVEN to us that cost our Lord Jesus so much. We are going to fall at times, but Jesus will always be there to pick us up.
times (especially as a young Christian) when I would sin Satan would immediately attempt to cause me to doubt my salvation, and there I would be, back on that stomach churning roller coaster of doubt. Then one day I was reminded of two things, both with the same conclusion.
  1. When I was in college a professor was questioning the authenticity of certain areas in the Bible. As an impressionable young man that hit me hard, especially knowing the professor was a pastor. Within a matter of days, I said to myself, “This is enough. Either the entire Bible is true, or none of it is true.” After that, it didn’t matter what man said, but it did matter what the Bible said.
  2. Several years ago, I was reading Romans and came upon chapter 3, verse 4. One section in that verse reminded me where I needed to be spiritually, “… let God be true, but every man a liar…” It took me right back to my college class experience.
Now, the conclusion that was reinforced in me from these incidents is this: God cannot lie. He always tells the truth. I know what the Bible says about salvation and His keeping power. I know I am a sinner and will always be a sinner upon this earth. I know I was saved by His grace and not by my works. As His child I will try my best not to let Him down, but I know I will sin and He knows that, but when I do, I can ask His forgiveness and our fellowship will be restored (1 John 1:9).
The most important thought I can get across is our salvation and home in Heaven does not depend on us. It depends on whether or not God will keep His word, and we already know … He said He would, and He does not lie.
Doubt weakens our faith. On the other hand, exercising the faith He gives us weakens any doubt.
Doubt steals the joy from our life, but faith increases joy.
Doubt will stunt our spiritual growth. Faith will enrich it.
Doubt will steal our assurance, but allowing our faith to blossom will make us spiritually strong.
Following are a few verses we can all find strength in. Let your faith grow in the Lord and experience the freedom of mind that God provides.
“Submit yourselves therefore to God. Resist the devil, and he will flee from you.” (James 4:7)
“And the LORD, he it is that doth go before thee; he will be with thee, he will not fail thee, neither forsake thee: fear not, neither be dismayed [discouraged].” (Deuteronomy 31:8, bracketed definition mine)
“Precious in the sight of the Lord is the death of his saints.” (Psalms 116:15)
“Put on the whole armour of God, that ye may be able to stand against the wiles [deceit, trickery] of the devil.” (Ephesians 6:11, bracketed definition mine)
“But let him ask in faith, with no doubting, for he who doubts is like a wave of the sea driven and tossed by the wind.” (James 1:6)
The account is given in Genesis 15:7-21 of a promise God made to Abraham (Abram at that time). Please read this account and then return to finish this article.
During that time the method God chose was practiced among men to solidify a vow (an oath, a promise). This oath was different though. The custom was that both parties would walk between the carcasses, but in this case God put Abram to sleep while He walked between the carcasses alone.
This is to show that the promise being kept did not depend upon the ability or failure of Abram. It depended solely upon God. God keeps His promises whether we keep ours or not. None of the promises God has given us depend upon our abilities. God’s word of guarantee depends upon who and what He is, not who and what we are.
He promises salvation. He promises to save. He promises to keep.
If we are His child, He promises we will live with Him forever. He has given His word and His word is solid.
Satan desires more than anything to sprinkle doubt here and there in our lives. Don’t give him the satisfaction. Allow the Lord to run him off with his tail between his legs (so to speak) by trusting God. God has given us promises. He guarantees the promises. They are always there for us to claim. We should let our faith develop muscle, and we do that by using the faith He has provided each of us. When we don’t use it our faith gets flabby, just like a muscle when it is not being used, and along come those doubts.
What amount of certainty can a Christian have of Heaven after death? What if he/she is living when the Rapture occurs? What certainty does he/she have that they will meet Jesus in the air and go on to Heaven?  Is 100% certainty enough? We can be just as certain of being in Heaven as if we are already there.
Grant Phillips
Pre-Rapture Commentary: http://grant-phillips.blogspot.com

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

9-17-23 Now It Is Obvious Why

9-16-23 Little-Known Prophecies of Christmas, Pt 3: Genesis 17:19

9-16-23 It Is Coming