11-19-17 Traditions, Yes or No

Every year about this time I spend the week before Thanksgiving debating with myself on wither or not I will decorate for the coming holidays. It was a tradition in our household to put up the Christmas tree on Thanksgiving Day. For the past several years I have worked on Thanksgiving Day so I had to put up the tree earlier. The debate with myself has been a lively one this year and I guess I knew what the answer would be from the beginning. If I don't decorate I will be riddled with guilt for not continuing tradition. This year I'll be working again so I will prepare a fast Thanksgiving lunch and Shirley will eat her's in the bedroom and I will have mine in the kitchen and that will be that. The last family Thanksgiving dinner we had was the year before Angela passed away and we had a full table of family members present that year. When I was growing up Mom would always fix a large Thanksgiving meal,  why I don't know, there was only the three of us to eat all of it but it was a tradition and she pressed the importance of doing it into my young impressionable brain. I would like to think that it was about family just being present together even though there wasn't very much conversation to go with it. I wonder sometimes if it would be any different now if we had the whole family back together again for one last meal. I wonder what our older generational ancestors would think and have to say about the family now. In case you wonder I got the Christmas tree and some other decorations put up so I guess the family traditions are intact for at least one more holiday season. Contrary to popular beliefs I'm really not a Scrooge about the Holidays. They may not be Norman Rockwell perfect and are probably more like the movie Christmas Vacation but it's another memory to add to the long list of memories past. Peace to all.  

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

9-16-23 Little-Known Prophecies of Christmas, Pt 3: Genesis 17:19

9-17-23 Christians Using Science Badly: Part 2

9-16-23 It Is Coming